In partnership with TARNANTHI: Festival of Contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art
Applications Closed Monday 11 June
Vitalstatistix is reviewing proposals from Australian First Nations artists (solo artist or group) for a new commission. The selected work will premiere in TARNANTHI in 2019.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists from across artistic disciplines and career stages are invited to apply for this opportunity. You could be working in performance, dance, live art, sound art, video and other visual art; importantly your proposed project will include a live outcome/event as part of the overall work.
The selected artist or group will have around 15 months to develop the work from July 2018 – October 2019. You will receive: a $20,000 commission fee; a travel allowance; a residency opportunity at Vitalstatistix; curatorial and project management support from the Vitalstatistix and TARNANTHI teams; presentation in TARNANTHI 2019; and access to other professional support and networks.
Applicants are encouraged to check out TARNANTHI’s previous festival programs as well as Vitalstatistix’s programming and curatorial interests which include, but are not limited to, feminist, queer and environmental art.
HOW TO APPLY
Your proposal will include the following.
1. A cover letter that introduces you and your proposal and descries why you would like this opportunity with Vitalstatistix and Tarnanthi (max one page);
2. A description of your proposed new work. What you want to make and why; its artistic and cultural rationale; how you imagine it might be presented (max two pages);
3. A description of the creative team undertaking the project – who you are and how this opportunity would contribute to your artistic practice. If you are a group, describe how you work together and the roles in your team. Please include short biographies (max three pages, including the bios);
4. A description of the creative development timeline for your project from July 2018 to its presentation in October 2019 including options for when you like to undertake a residency at Vitalstatistix in the first half of 2019; please feel free to include any other practical info about the proposed project in this section (max two pages).
5. Two items of support material, provided as PDFs or URLs.
6. Optional: One letter of support or recommendation from an artistic peer.
Submit your application here.
For enquiries contact Isobel Moore, Vitalstatistix Program and Communications Coordinator, at program[at]vitalstatistix.com.au or phone (08) 8447 6211.
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.