Supporting the development of new art and performance
Presented by Vitalstatistix
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Adhocracy is Vitalstatistix’s national hothouse, supporting the creative development of new experimental and multidisciplinary arts projects. Artists from around Australia join us to create and converse over the first weekend of Spring.
Adhocracy is focused on supporting new works in their early stages of development. Selected artists spend time in an open studio environment over four intense days; audiences engage with artists and their creative process through a public program of artist talks and work-in-progress showings presented across three evenings. We welcome applications from established and emerging artists across theatre, live art, dance, sound, installation, visual art and other experimental practices.
What are we looking for?
We are interested in projects that:
– Explore ideas, research questions, provocations and concepts;
– Are culturally, politically and socially relevant and engaged;
– Provide a methodology for genuine experimentation (with consideration of areas such as decolonisation, collaboration, technology, interdisciplinary practice, climate, community engagement, as relevant);
– Are a genuine collaboration between a creative team (solo proposals are of course fine if the project is a solo endeavour);
– Are new works in the early stages of development that can benefit from this opportunity.
Adhocracy is scheduled for 3-6 September 2020. We believe that due to the public health measures required to combat COVID-19, that it is more than likely that the event will not physically go ahead (however we are leaving this open for a little longer).
Therefore, the usual information we would provide here is not necessary in order for you to make an application for this opportunity.
Projects selected for participation in Adhocracy will receive their granted fee regardless of whether the event proceeds or not. Either way, we will publish a digital program and will work with selected artists to consider how you can undertake a short development (four days, as Adhocracy usually is) of your project alone; to explore online artists’ talks across the dates of Adhocracy; to plan travel if the event does go ahead; and to explore how we could support your work beyond 2020.
Rather than providing a budget you will be asked to select one of three amounts to apply for:
– $3000 (if your project includes 1-2 artists)
– $4000 (if your project includes 2-3 artists)
– $5000 (if your project includes 3 or more artists)
If selected we may ask you for a more detailed budget or a plan for how you will pay other artists.
This year’s application requires no production or technical information.
How to apply
To submit your proposal, please provide us with the following:
1. A description of your project, including the key ideas you are exploring and your general approach/methodology to the work’s creative development. You are welcome to keep this conceptual and do not need to address the context of or contingencies for COVID-19 (max two pages)
2. A description of the creative team undertaking the project – who you are and why are you working together. You may include short biographies (max two pages, including the bios).
3. One item of support material, with an option to provide a second item.
4. Optional: One letter of support or recommendation from an artistic peer.
Note: Please stick to the information we have asked for above – we do not require anything more than this. Non-pdf support material should be provided as URLs on the cover form. Please ensure you clearly name your documents with your name and project title.
For enquiries contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 08 8447 6211.
APPLICATIONS CLOSED BY MIDNIGHT ON MONDAY 25 May, 2020.