Supporting the development of new art and performance
Vitalstatistix is now seeking proposals for this year’s Adhocracy.
Applications close on Monday 28 May.
Adhocracy is Vitalstatistix’s national hothouse, supporting the creative development of new experimental and multidisciplinary arts projects. Artists from around Australia join us to create and converse in one space (our beautiful, heritage-listed home, Waterside, in Port Adelaide) over the first weekend of Spring.
Selected artists spend four days and nights in an open studio environment developing new works that can span performance, live art, sound, visual art and more. All projects are in the early stages of the process of making; participating artists will be experimenting with ideas and art forms, as well as how audiences experience their works. Audiences and peers engage with the artists and their projects through a public program of artist talks and work-in-progress showings presented across three evenings.
Adhocracy is a festival of ideas meets concentrated art lab, featuring Australia’s most exciting established and emerging makers of Australian contemporary culture, art, performance and commentary. Be part of this unique creative development opportunity in 2018.
We are now seeking proposals from artists across Australia.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND THEN APPLY HERE.
What are we looking for?
We’re interested in projects that explore ideas, research questions, provocations and concepts;
– Are culturally and socially engaged;
– Provide a methodology for genuine experimentation with ideas and forms over the four days alongside consideration of space, technology, interdisciplinary practice and community engagement, as relevant;
– Are a genuine collaboration between a creative team over the course of four days (solo proposals are of course fine if the project is a solo endeavour);
– Enable audiences to experience part of the making/research process;
– Are new works in the early stages of development that can benefit from a hothouse environment (or a substantial reimagining of an existing art work if there is a strong rationale).
Adhocracy is a four-day event. The first day, Thursday 30th August, is for artists only. The public program for audiences runs Friday 31st August to Sunday 2nd September. To be selected for participation you must be able to fully attend all four days. Selected artists will present a talk or showing each evening of the public program.
Selected projects will receive a fee of up to $4000 each, towards artist fees, transport and accommodation costs if you are from outside of South Australia, and materials. You will also receive some additional production and documentation support from Vitalstatistix.
Each selected project will be allocated a studio space at Waterside, which can range in size and technical capacity. To be eligible, your project must be able to take place on site at Waterside.
Adhocracy is an adventurous, intense experience and you will be sharing space and resources with other artists. Once selected the Adhocracy curators and Vitalstatistix team will work with you to confirm your studio space and your schedule/process for the four days.
This is an opportunity for collaboration, experimentation, creative development, and, of course, feedback from Adhocracy artists and audiences. For more on what Adhocracy is like, we highly recommend you check out the 2017 public program and short documentary videos from previous years.
Curated by Emma Webb and Paul Gazzola
How to apply
To submit your proposal, please provide us with the following:
1. A description of your project, including what you propose to do and how you imagine the project may develop over four days (max two pages).
2. A description of the creative team undertaking the project – who you are and how you will work together. You may include short biographies (max two pages, including the bios).
3. A description of the type of production support you may require, the type of space you will need and how you would allocate up to $4000 (max one page).
4. One item of support material, with an option to provide a second item.
5. Optional: One letter of support or recommendation from an artistic peer.
Note: Please stick to the information we have asked for above – we do not require anything more than this. Non-pdf support material should be provided as URLs on the cover form. Please ensure you clearly name your documents with your name and project title.
Submit your application here.
For enquiries contact us via program[at]vitalstatistix.com.au or phone (08) 8447 6211.
APPLICATIONS are due BY 5PM MONDAY 28 MAY, 2018.
We anticipate informing you of the outcome of your proposal by late June.
There is no guarantee of selection and the grant offered will be up to $4000; amounts offered will be dependent on the number and scope of projects selected, the number of artists involved and whether you have interstate travel costs associated with your project.
South Australian artists:
This opportunity is offered to South Australian artists. Please note there is a separate application process for this residency – application information here.
You will not be selected to participate in both the residency and a separate Adhocracy project, please consider your applications carefully and discuss with us if you need.